Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Flavor of Fall for your Senses

Autumn is one of the most spectacular seasons here in the Midwest, and this year is no exception. What is it about the leaves falling that makes you want to start making yummy recipes and collecting acorns? I picked the last of my herbs this week and I thought I would share with you my recipe for simmering potpourri. This is a great way to use those odd pieces of fruit that have been neglected and sitting on your counter too long.

Savory Citrus Potpourri

Ingredients:

Fresh Rosemary
Your choice of sliced lemons, limes, apples, grapefruit or oranges
2-3 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 quart of water

Bring to a boil on your stove top and set to simmer. Voila!

Variations: Use a crockpot or candle warmer to heat and release the amazing aroma. You can substitute fresh Basil, Sage, Cloves or Mint for a more savory scent. Experimenting is half the fun. It's quite normal for the appearance of the liquid to get a little cloudy or wonky looking after heating. I add a few sprigs or peels every couple of days to refresh the scent.

Happy Fall Y'all!!
Susan

 


No comments: